acrylic on canvas, 1971, signed and dated on the reverse; in very good condition
16 x 16 inches
Henry Pearson (1914-2006) studied at the University of North Carolina and at Yale University.
After serving in the US Army Air Corps during World War II (where he was involved in the design and making of maps) he moved to New York City in the early-1950s. Towards the end of the decade Pearson began developing his well-known linear style, based in part upon the topographical work he had done in the army. His painting and drawing continued in this style until the mid-1970s and was received with increasing success.
His works were acquired by the Whitney Museum of American Art, The Museum of Modern Art, the Corcoran Gallery of Art, the Albright-Knox Art Gallery and others, and in 1965 a painting was included in the influential Op Art exhibition, "The Responsive Eye", held at The Museum of Modern Art, New York.