Ludwig Sander was born in Staten Island, NY in 1906. He studied in New York with George Elmer Brown and Alexander Archipenko in the mid-1920s, in Paris in the late-1920s, and afterwards again in New York, at the Art Students League. In the early-1930s he studied in Munich with Hans Hoffman and returned to New York finally a few years later.
He exhibited regularly in the 1930s and his works at the time, although abstract, had not settled into the look of his later, more widely-known works. By the late-1950s though, Sander had refined his style and his paintings, drawings and prints are made up of flat, complementary areas of color bisected by almost-right-angled horizontal and vertical lines.
In 1949 he co-founded "The Club", an association and discussion group for artists in New York, whose sixteen members included Willem De Kooning, Franz Kline, Ad Reinhardt and Conrad Marca-Relli.
Sander exhibited at Leo Castelli Gallery in 1959 and 1961, at Kootz Gallery in the later 1960s, and then at Lawrence Rubin Gallery and Knoedler &Co. His work is in the collection of the Albright-Knox Gallery, Buffalo, NY (and was included in their important 1989 exhibiton "Abstraction. Geometry. Painting; Selected Geometric Abstract Painting in America Since 1945" Harry Abrams, NY, 1989); The Art Institute of Chicago; Corcoran Gallery of Art; Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden; Metropolitan Museum of Art; Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum; Walker Art Center, Minneapolis; Whitney Museum of American Art, and many others.